MyView 5 Day Reading Routine will greatly enhance your overall effectiveness in the classroom and positively impact your students’ learning experiences as you implement myView Literacy Program for grades kindergarten through grade 5.
How can following myView’s 5 Day Reading Routine help my students succeed?
Consistency and Structure: A structured routine provides a consistent framework for teaching reading. This helps students to know what to expect while creating a comfortable learning environment. myView’s 5 day reading routine allows for targeted instruction on various reading skills, including phonics, vocabulary, comprehension and fluency. Each day’s focus on a specific skill can lead to more effective skill development.
Literacy Development: A structured routine ensures that students are consistently exposed to different types of texts, fostering their literacy development across various genres.
Effective Planning: Having a routine in place makes lesson planning easier. Teachers can design activities, assessments, and materials around the specific skills they will focus on each day.
Day 1 Genre and Theme: myView Reading Routine
*Introduce the focus question and genre
*Use the Think Aloud for Listening Comprehension
*Share their thoughts and activate prior knowledge connected to focus question, genre & Think Aloud
Day 2 Shared Read
*Use First Read Strategies
*Check for Understanding
*Students discuss prior knowledge of vocabulary
*Students Read the text independently or with a partner
*Students Complete Check for Understanding
Day 3 Close Read 1
*Model 1st Skill or Strategy
*Small Group Instruction
*Students UNDERLINE a section of text based on skill and then infer or analyze that section
Day 4 Close Read 2
*Model the next Skill or Strategy
*Small Group Instruction
*Students HIGHLIGHT a section of text based on skill and then infer or analyze that section
Day 5 Reflect and Share
*Students Share their view of Week’s Learning
*Discussion around Weekly Question
*Students refer to notes and resources to share learning for week (oral or in writing)
*Students answer weekly question
Are you interested in a more in-depth explanation of myView’s 5 Day Reading Routine? Explore this FREEBIE, Slide Show Presentation in more detail.
- A more inclusive breakdown of each day
- myView Resource Samples to support each day
- An audio included in the Resource Samples pages that offer more suggestions
- Comprehension Check-Ins provided from myView with the online location of each
- Supplemental Resources from Teaching with a Vision to support comprehension
- Click here to grab this freebie.
How can Teaching with a Vision help to support myView’s 5 Day Reading Routine? The Language Quick checks for myView Grades 2, 3 4 and 5 are perfect for morning work or homework. These printables include a quick check of the following for each week:
- Word Study
- Revising and Editing
There are 3 pages for each week. Page 2 for that week incudes a comprehension check that mirrors questions on the unit assessments. This is terrific practice that will help students become familiar with for the structure of questions on assessments. Grab a freebie for Unit 1 Week 1 for grades 2, 3, 4 and 5 below by clicking on each image or get by grade level
Grade 2 Language Quick Check Click here.
Grade 3 Language Quick Check Click here.
Grade 4 Language Quick Check Click here.
Grade 5 Language Quick Check Click here.
In addition to the Language Quick Checks as mentioned about, explore myView Literacy Vocabulary from Teaching with a Vision for Units 1-5, Grades 2-5. They include both academic and weekly vocabulary along with:
- Digital, Color Version in Google Slides to Assign in Google Classroom
- PDF Version in Color and Black & White for Printing
- 5 Academic Vocabulary Cards for Display with Picture, Definition and Part of Speech-Editable
- 5 Weekly Vocabulary Cards for Display FOR EACH UNIT, EACH WEEK, with Picture, Definition and Part of Speech-Editable for Each Week
- Vocabulary Words and Definitions for Student Notebook (editable)
- 16 Task Cards both Digital & Print for Each Week
- 4 Editable Cards to Add Your Own Words for Each Week
- Student Recording Sheet
- Answer Sheet
- Vocabulary Fill in The Blank Paragraph for all 5 Words with Answer Key for Each Week
- Digital & Print
- Parent Letter – Includes all 5 Words with Definition and “How Can I Help at Home?” Section for Each week
Click here to view the vocabulary resources for Grades 2-5, Units 1-5 OR click on each image below. (Note the sample below is for Grade 3 Unit 1.) Also available are VOCABULARY WORD CARDS WITHOUT TASK CARDS on the same link.
If I can be of any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to follow me on TPT at Teaching with a Vision for upcoming sales or blog posts.
If you haven’t had a chance, check out my blog post on 7 Powerful Back to School Activities for Building Community in the Classroom or 7 BEST SELLING VOCABULARY SPELLING AND WORD WORK ACTIVITIES THAT ARE WORTH GRABBING TODAY!